Hiatus
This blog will be on hiatus while I'm on a road trip around the western United States with some friends. When I get back, you can be sure I'll update the blog. I will also continue my quest to do one new thing every day while on the road trip. I'll be back August 17th.
BTW, there has long been a myth that Gone with the Wind (1939) included the first use of a 'cuss' word in American cinema. I knew this couldn't be true, but I hadn't actually come across an example until today, when I saw The Big Parade (1925). Naturally, being a silent, the 'cuss' word wasn't audibly spoken, but it appeared in (sung) dialogue on a card all the same: "March and sweat the whole damned day..." - naturally, I'm not convinced that this is the first use of a 'cuss' word in American cinema, either. I'll keep my eyes open (not 'ears,' as anything before 1925 is going to be silent and therefore written, of course).
Also, later on in the movie, it hosts one of the first 'bleeped out' curse words, when the dialogue card says: "You got my Buddy, you b----------s!" I thought that was pretty funny!





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home