Friday, July 30, 2004

A Princess of Mars

I have a special fondness for pulp fiction adventures like the 1950s Jules Verne adaptations with James Mason. But these kinds of movies fell out of favor in the 80s and 90s when Scorsese, Tarantino, and others succeeded with gritty, personal movies. Now, with the wild popularity of superhero films, they are making a comeback. I'm very excited about Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, a tale of world conquest and giant robots. And now comes the news that Sky Captain's director, Kerry Conran, will be adapting a story that may epitomize the subgenre: Edgar Rice Burroughs' 'John Carter of Mars,' about a Civil War officer who is transported to Mars, where he marries a beautiful woman and becomes a great warrior on many adventures. I'm so excited... and I just can't hide it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home