Review - Independence Day
Independence Day is, in many ways, the perfect film.
Now, let me explain myself.
Independence Day is not really a very good film. I wouldn't even put it on the top 10 list for its year. But, along with The Matrix, Princess Bride, and Monty Python and the Holy Grail, it is perhaps the most entertaining film I have ever seen. And after all, isn't entertainment the primary goal of a movie? If you just sit back and watch the movie, without searching for reasons to dislike it (plot holes, underdeveloped characters, unrealistic sequences of events, cliches), Independence Day is one helluva ride.
Just what makes it so fun? Let me count the reasons...
Special Effects. Watching the White House or Empire State Building blow up is simply fantastic. The wall of flame ripping through New York is incredible. Thousands of alien and human aircraft duking it out around one of the large alien ships. The escape from and destruction of the mothership. All of them absolutely jaw-dropping, especially at the time of release. Independence Day is the de facto modern mass destruction movie, and virtually birthed the subgenre.
Action. The action sequences are exhilarating and well-spaced.
Will Smith. Throughout his career, Will Smith has been alternatively irritating and hilarious. Along with Men in Black, Independence Day is one of his few 'nails it' movies. I don't care if he's not Tom Hanks or Jack Nicholson or Dustin Hoffman, this guy is fun to watch in this movie.
Humor. It's not a comedy, but the there is enough understated situational and physical comedy here to keep you chuckling through the slower moments.
Bill Pullman. Is it just me, or is the most enjoyable movie president ever? And yes, that's including Anthony Hopkins' Nixon. My eyes still tear a little during Pullman's corny but well-delivered 'Independence' speech.
The Trailer. Okay, this doesn't really factor into the film itself, but it should be mentioned that Independence Day has one of the best trailers of all time. At the time of its showing, the teaser's shot of the white house blowing up was the most impressive and shocking 'blow up' shot ever. Anyone who saw the trailer HAD to the movie. The full-length trailer followed it up with the arguably more impressive shot of the Empire State Building's demise.
So, in the end, I would give Independence day something of a B, but an A+++ for enjoyability.
By the way, Men in Black is a nice companion piece. It has a similar premise, but is a far superior film in terms of filmmaking quality. It is funnier and just as enjoyable, though lacking in Independence Day's epic scope and special effects.





24 Comments:
Nice Blog about simmons sporting good. I also have a Blog/Website about simmons sporting good which is why I enjoyed this blog so much. Keep up the excellent work! Check out my site if you have a moment.
Hi there Luke, I was just browsing, looking for download free movie trailers related information and found your blog. Very Nice! I have a download free movie trailers site. In addition to movie downloads, you can find options for downloading various movie players. Please visit, check it out and enjoy!
Nice blog Luke. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for free movie downloads related information and found your site. I have a free movie downloads site. In addition to movie downloads, you can find options for downloading various movie players. Please try and visit it, see what you think and enjoy.
Hi Luke,
You have a great Review - Independence Day blog here.
I wanted to share with you and everybody reading this comment an amazing opportunity. Maybe you have heard about free forced matrix before but trust me, I have studied many other free forced matrix thats available on the net, none can compares with this one.
You have to study my free forced matrix site to understand what I mean.
I am 100% sure of this opportunity that I will pay your initial membership so you can try it out for FREE! You have nothing to loose.
Best regards
Hi Luke,
You have a great Review - Independence Day blog here.
I wanted to share with you and everybody reading this comment an amazing opportunity. Maybe you have heard about power forced matrix before but trust me, I have studied many other power forced matrix thats available on the net, none can compares with this one.
You have to study my power forced matrix site to understand what I mean.
I am 100% sure of this opportunity that I will pay your initial membership so you can try it out for FREE! You have nothing to loose.
Best regards
Hi Luke,
You have a great Review - Independence Day blog here.
I wanted to share with you and everybody reading this comment an amazing opportunity. Maybe you have heard about power forced matrix before but trust me, I have studied many other power forced matrix thats available on the net, none can compares with this one.
You have to study my power forced matrix site to understand what I mean.
I am 100% sure of this opportunity that I will pay your initial membership so you can try it out for FREE! You have nothing to loose.
Best regards
Hi Luke,
You have a great Review - Independence Day blog here.
I wanted to share with you and everybody reading this comment an amazing opportunity. Maybe you have heard about power forced matrix before but trust me, I have studied many other power forced matrix thats available on the net, none can compares with this one.
You have to study my power forced matrix site to understand what I mean.
I am 100% sure of this opportunity that I will pay your initial membership so you can try it out for FREE! You have nothing to lose.
Best regards
Hi Luke,
You have a great Review - Independence Day blog here.
I wanted to share with you and everybody reading this comment an amazing opportunity. Maybe you have heard about free forced matrix before but trust me, I have studied many other free forced matrix thats available on the net, none can compares with this one.
You have to study my free forced matrix site to understand what I mean.
I am 100% sure of this opportunity that I will pay your initial membership so you can try it out for FREE! You have nothing to lose.
Best regards
Nice blog Luke. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for download free movie trailers related information and found your site. I have a download free movie trailers site. In addition to movie downloads, you can find options for downloading various movie players. Please try and visit it, see what you think and enjoy.
Hi Luke, very unique blog you have! I was looking for free movie downloads related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a free movie downloads site. In addition to movie downloads, you can find options for downloading various movie players. Please visit it.
Hi there Luke, I was just browsing, looking for free movie downloads related information and found your blog. Very Nice! I have a free movie downloads site. In addition to movie downloads, you can find options for downloading various movie players. Please visit, check it out and enjoy!
Fantastic blog you've got here Luke, I was looking for movie downloads related information and found your site. I have a movie downloads site. In addition to movie downloads, you can find options for downloading various movie players. Stop by and check it out when you can.
Nice blog Luke. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for free movie downloads related information and found your site. I have a free movie downloads site. In addition to movie downloads, you can find options for downloading various movie players. Please try and visit it, see what you think and enjoy.
Nice blog Luke. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for movie download websites related information and found your site. I have a movie download websites site. In addition to movie downloads, you can find options for downloading various movie players. Please try and visit it, see what you think and enjoy.
Hi Luke. I was looking for movie download websites related information and came across your blog. Very good reading! I have a movie download websites site. In addition to movie downloads, you can find options for downloading various movie players. Check it out when you can :)
I enjoyed reading some of your posts Luke. I was looking for download free movie trailers related information and found your blog. I have a download free movie trailers site. In addition to movie downloads, you can find options for downloading various movie players. Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Hi Luke, very unique blog you have! I was looking for movie downloads related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a movie downloads site. In addition to movie downloads, you can find options for downloading various movie players. Please visit it.
Nice blog Luke. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for movie downloads related information and found your site. I have a movie downloads site. In addition to movie downloads, you can find options for downloading various movie players. Please try and visit it, see what you think and enjoy.
Nice blog Luke. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for movie downloads related information and found your site. I have a movie downloads site. In addition to movie downloads, you can find options for downloading various movie players. Please try and visit it, see what you think and enjoy.
Hi Luke, very unique blog you have! I was looking for movie downloads related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a movie downloads site. In addition to movie downloads, you can find options for downloading various movie players. Please visit it.
Hi Luke, very unique blog you have! I was looking for movie downloads related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a movie downloads site. In addition to movie downloads, you can find options for downloading various movie players. Please visit it.
Hi Luke. I was looking for download free movie trailers related information and came across your blog. Very good reading! I have a download free movie trailers site. In addition to movie downloads, you can find options for downloading various movie players. Check it out when you can :)
Nice blog Luke. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for download free movie trailers related information and found your site. I have a download free movie trailers site. In addition to movie downloads, you can find options for downloading various movie players. Please try and visit it, see what you think and enjoy.
If you have a site similar to mine and would like to exchange links, please contact me through my website.
Nice movie related blog Luke. Did you know you can access 80,000,000 Movies, TV Shows, Music Videos, top Video Games and more . . . with unlimited 24/7 downloads. You'll also get FREE Movie download software, DVD Copy Software, Movie Players, CD Burning Software, and VIP technical support. Just go to download movie trailer to join and get started watching movies on your computer or home theater! : )
Post a Comment
<< Home