Friday, June 11, 2004

1999 Mochrie Award winners!

1999 was perhaps the best year in film, EVER (in close competition with 1939). Four of my top ten favorite movies were released in 1999. Picking the best films of the year was as difficult as it was enjoyable. What's unfair, here, is that in many cases, the #2 and #3 choices in several categories were better than the #1 choices for those categories in most other years.

Best Film

American Beauty, Being John Malkovich, Fight Club, The Insider, The Sixth Sense, The Matrix

Winner: American Beauty


American Beauty is not the most original nor the most stunning film of the year, but it is host to the strongest screenplay of the year, perhaps of all time, and solid acting and directing. American Beauty is one of the best films ever made.

Best Screenplay

American Beauty, Being John Malkovich, Election, Fight Club, The Insider, The Sixth Sense, The Talented Mr. Ripley

Winner: American Beauty


What a wonderful year for screenwriting! Four of the nominees are worthy of winning the best screenplay award, but American Beauty takes the prize. It is perhaps the best screenplay ever written.

Best Director

Anthony Minghella (The Talented Mr. Ripley), Brad Bird (The Iron Giant), M Night Shyamalan (The Sixth Sense), Michael Mann (The Insider), Sam Mendes (American Beauty), Spike Jonze (Being John Malkovich), Steven Soderbergh (The Limey)

Winner: Michael Mann (The Insider)


The Insider is the most powerful film of the year. It's screenplay and acting are wonderful, but its direction is was allows it to overpower its competition.

Best Actor

Edward Norton (Fight Club), Kevin Spacey (American Beauty), Michael Caine (The Cider House Rules), Michael Clarke Duncan (The Green Mile), Philip Seymour Hoffman (Magnolia, The Talented Mr. Ripley), Russel Crowe (The Insider), Haley Joel Osment (The Sixth Sense)

Winner: Kevin Spacey (American Beauty)


Kevin Spacey is believable, funny, intense, pathetic, and powerful in American Beauty. In a career of incredible roles, it is his best.

Best Actress

Heather Donahue (The Blair Witch Project), Hilary Swank (Boy's Don't Cry), Nicole Kidman (Eyes Wide Shut), Toni Collette (The Sixth Sense)

Winner: Hilary Swank (Boy's Don't Cry)


No contest. Hilary Swank got the role of a lifetime and hit it out of the park.

Best Visual Appeal

Run Lola Run, Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, The Talented Mr. Ripley, The Matrix, Toy Story 2

Winner: The Matrix


The Matrix is absolutely stunning. It pushed the boudnaries of special effects. Instead of just adding more polygons and shadows and particles and textures, The Matrix introduced a whole new technology to the game: Bullet Time. And the rest of the effects work doesn't slouch, either.

Best Score/Soundtrack

American Beauty, Being John Malkovich, Bicentennial Man, Eyes Wide Shut, Fight Club, South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut

Winner: South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut


People may be able to dismiss South Park for its cheap animation and potty humor, but this is the best musical of the 90s.

Worst Quality to Box Office Ratio

Big Daddy, Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace, Wild Wild West

Winner: Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace


No contest here. Phantom Menace is a terrible film, but made it to $430 million solely on two decades of hype and rabid fanboys. Phantom Menace is an inexcusable failure of a followup to a classic trilogy.

Most Important Film

American Beauty, Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace, The Matrix, The Sixth Sense

Winner: The Matrix


The Matrix and its fresh approach to visual and special effects is the most important film of the year. Now we see its bullet-time in TV ads for soap and nachos. And the Matrix has already inspired more fan-made short films than Star Wars

Best Scene

Dinner Argument (American Beauty), Frogs Fall (Magnolia), Helicopter Rescue (The Matrix), Hit Me (Fight Club), Opening Chase (The Matrix), Unmasked (Eyes Wide Shut), Stunning Revelation (The Sixth Sense)

Winner: Stunning Revelation (Sixth Sense)


The Sixth Sense has one of the most well-conceived reversals ever put on film. Shocking.


The most nominated films of 1999 were:

American Beauty - 7
Sixth Sense - 7
Fight Club - 5
The Matrix - 5
Being John Malkovich - 4
The Insider - 4
The Talented Mr. Ripley - 4
Eyes Wide Shut - 3

American Beauty won 3 times. The Matrix won twice. The Sixth Sense, with 7 nominations, won only once. Special note goes to Office Space, one of the most enjoyable films of this exceptional year that wasn't good enough in any any particular category to be nominated!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luke. Some of these blog sites have more info on them than the regular websites. I've been searching websites looking for filesharing software related info, I decided to try blog sites. And it seems like everybody has one but me. Anyway, I'm trying to improve the traffic flow to my site at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and needed more substantive information I could use but got sidetracked again. Back to my search. Had fun though. Thanks Luke, Mike

October 29, 2005 at 1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there Luke, I thought I would check out some blog sites for info I could use at my website. I started out looking for mp3 music sharing related stuff but there's so much info out there about everything, I kind of got lost. I get sidetracked easily these days. Anyway, I'm at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and gotta get back to the search. Had fun and thanks, mike

October 29, 2005 at 3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog site Luke. While searching websites looking for peer 2 peer related info, I decided to try blog sites. Wow, there are so many of them it's amazing. I never heard of or knew what a blog was until last year. Now they're everywhere. And it seems like everybody but me has one. Anyway, I'm trying to improve my site at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and was originally looking for relevant information I could use. Got sidetracked a lttle bit....lol. It was interesting. Thanks Luke, Mike

October 31, 2005 at 5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogging is still new to me Luke. I never heard of or knew what a blog was until about 6 months ago. Wow, there are so many of them it's amazing. Now they're everywhere. And it seems like everyone has one but me. I was looking for websites with info about peer 2 peer. Then I decided to try blogs. Anyway, I'm trying to improve my site at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com for all the music and movie lovers out there, and was originally looking for relevant information I could use. Got sidetracked a lttle bit....lol. It was interesting. Thanks Luke, Mike

November 2, 2005 at 3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Blog about gift basket dropship. I also have a Blog/Website about gift basket dropship which is why I enjoyed this blog so much. Keep up the excellent work! Check out my site if you have a moment.

November 3, 2005 at 5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Luke. You know some of these blog sites have more info on them than regular websites. I've been searching websites looking for peer 2 peer related info, I decided to try blog sites. And it seems like everybody but me has one. Anyway, I'm trying to improve my site at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and needed more substantive information I could use. Got sidetracked a wee bitl. Had fun though. Thanks Luke, Mike

November 4, 2005 at 6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Luke, I was looking for filesharing software related info for my site at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and thought I would check out some blog sites. I get sidetracked easily these days....getting old...lol. It was an interesting read. Thanks, mike

November 4, 2005 at 7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog site Luke. While searching websites looking for peer to peer related info, I decided to try blog sites. Wow, there are so many of them it's amazing. I never heard of or knew what a blog was until last year. Now they're everywhere. And it seems like everybody but me has one. Anyway, I'm trying to improve my site at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and was originally looking for relevant information I could use. Got sidetracked a lttle bit....lol. It was interesting. Thanks Luke, Mike

November 12, 2005 at 3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I have 42 free free fuck hardcore video xxx at my blog! You can download them all, no problem, Think of them as porn trailers. Free Videos

You can post a comment to your website at my blog too :) Thanks!

November 22, 2005 at 10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home