Sunday, July 18, 2004

Spider-Man 2 Box Office Update

Spider-Man 2 was the projected highest grosser of the year by nearly everyone (including myself), but now it is on pace to barely reach the gross of the original, and may even fall short of The Passion of The Christ, which would place it around #5 for the year when the year is done.

Though I'm pleased (Spider-Man 2, in my opinion, is one of the most over-rated movies ever made), I'm a bit dumfounded. Spider-Man 2 was better-reviewed than the original, had twice as much advertising, and a bigger budget. So why aren't people shelling out the dough quite like everyone expected? I'm hoping it is because they found the melodrama scenes as painful as I did.

The best that can come of this is that Sam Raimi and company will learn from their mistakes in this one and make a triumphant third film. My suggestions? Dump the Green Goblin. Dump Kirsten Dunst (somehow). Venom is the villain. Make it violent, fast-paced, and juicy. Let the character development and dialogue happen alongside the action (ala Star Wars) instead of in separate, boring scenes (ala the Star Wars prequels).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home